Monday, January 30, 2012

Strong Female Characters

One of my best friends, Melissa, sent our group of girlfriends Emily Rap's "Transformation and Transcendence: The Power of Female Friendship." If you haven't read it, then I highly suggest that you take a look!

I remember getting to high school, and then college, to find that not all women craved and worked hard to hold close female friendships. I've always had strong females in my life.  These role models valued a community of women. So now, so do I.

And it's not just about having a good time or about being there. It's about a level of understanding and commitment that is a different sort of true from any other relationship I'll ever have in my life.  Not better or worse than the love of a parent, child, or spouse. Just its own beautiful, unique entity.

Emily Rap said, "Here’s the truth: friendships between women are often the deepest and most profound love stories."

Even before reading this article, I had been grappling with this issue in my own creative writing. When I think of my favorite pieces of literature and film, the characters are often concerned with sisterly friendship more so than romantic love. Why? Well, because my experiences with friendship have been among my most profound...They seem to be the stories most worth telling and truly, truly celebrating.

Though I might not actually have any, I am wealthy in sisters.



No comments: